Guided by a philosophy that views youth as “at promise” instead of “at risk”, the Carrera Youth Achievement Program is an “above the waist”, holistic approach to reducing the rates of teen pregnancy by providing an inclusive network of supportive services and case management that addresses both the developmental and environmental factors our teens deal with on a daily basis.
The Carrera Youth Achievement Program serves 6th and 7th grade middle-school boys and girls with year-round programming. Register NOW for guaranteed placement.
The Carrera Youth Achievement Program meets five days a week, and some Saturdays during the school year. In addition, we offer a summer program.
The model includes seven fundamental components:
1. Education: Daily homework help and enrichment with trained teachers and tutors driven by Individual Academic Plans (IAP) for each participant;
2. Employment: Weekly exposure to the “world of work,” including earning stipends, opening bank accounts, and exploring career choices;
3. Mental Health Services: Weekly discussion groups led by certified social workers; individual counseling, case management, and crisis intervention as needed;
4. Family Life and Sexuality Education (FLSE): Weekly comprehensive, scientifically accurate sexuality education sessions taught in an age-appropriate fashion by a trained professional;
5. Self-Expression: Weekly music, dance, writing, and drama workshops led by theater and art professionals, where children can discover talents and build self-esteem;
6. Lifetime Individual Sports: A fitness program emphasizing sports that build self-discipline and can be played throughout life, including golf, bowling, squash, swimming, and others;
7. Full Medical, Dental, and Vision Care: Comprehensive, no cost medical, dental, and vision services are available in collaboration with local providers.
For more information about the Carrera Youth Achievement Program, please contact Lynn Faulkner, Program Director, at 658-4171 ext. 174.
To download an application packet for the Carrera Youth Achievement Program, click here:
CYA – Application Packet